Search This Blog

2019/09/08

Headlamp Relay, the Weather and American Discovery Trail Inspection

I'll have to lift the battery out of my 1987 Chevrolet G20 Sportvan in order to see what's under it.  I have yet to find a relay for the head and bright lights.  Right now, both sides are not responding.

I live closer to the east side of The Wilderness Loop of the Buckeye Trail (North Country partially concurrent).  But there's reasons why I configure my Weatherbug app on my Android based smartphone to monitor the weather in four locations.  Two of those are on-road.  Regardless, if I get a weather alert, know of a hiker being out here and I have the means, I'll go out and get them.

But the other reason is internal.  It tells me what I can do as far as everything else is concerned.  Pruning can be done on any day except lightning.  Blazing can be done on days except lightning, but only if the blazing surface starts out dry and has a window where it hues before it rains.  It's unknown if we can bench the tread if the ground is saturated?  And we can run the DR Mower, weed whackers and chain saws on just about any day, except those with lightning.

But the most finicky tasks are ones having to do with GPS'ing locations.  These require days when the skies are Partly Sunny or better.  Right now, the northeast corner of The Wilderness Loop are predicted to have one suitable day, but the rest are not.  However, go 30 miles south to the south side and I have a streak of 3 suitable days.

Two days ago, I was in the Marietta area.  I had to get some new 6in x 9in speaker boxes, which were at an audio/ video shop in Parkersburg.  I was considering going to the Sternwheel Festival in Marietta, but I wasn't comfortable parking my van there with everything that I was hauling in the van.  So, I made a call from behind the line (a football aphorism) and performed my annual inspection on the American Discovery Trail - Ohio/Kentucky, Segment 01.  I volunteer with the American Discovery Trail Society, too.

It's a 33 mile long, on-road segment from the West Virginia line at Belpre of Washington County to Marion Township of Morgan County, Ohio.  I never liked it much until then.  Apparently, I was seeing it during the wrong time of the year.  For some reason, it's pretty now?  But it can be a bear to park on.

Getting back to the weather, I have an excellent day for tomorrow.  But I have several loads of laundry that needs to get done.  The van really needs me to unload some of the cargo.  And to go to the south side, I really need to camp out there and my tent needs repairs.  But I got some groceries today.  It's always best when I have my cereal because I'm on the road faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment