Search This Blog

2016/12/29

Log 2016122901

Years ago, I contributed my Full Generic Gear Inventory for end user download on the Buckeye Trail website.  It allows the prospective hiker do something like print this list and use a blank sheet of paper over it to devise a packing list line by line.  And I'd boast it's so good that they won't forget anything.

But I know a few more things now than I did then and one of those is Google Docs.  I figure that I could make it an even better list by using check boxes that when the prospective hiker clicks a "submit" button, it generates a list of what they selected only.  This gear list can also be used for the American Discovery Trail in the Spring, Summer and Fall, but also anywhere that isn't impassable in the winter.

The North Country Trail is similar, except that with snowshoes, or cross country skis, the trail that is official now doesn't have much in the way of impassibilities.  That might change when the trail opens up in the Adirondacks and Vermont.  My gear list doesn't account for coats rated to handle the winters in Upper Peninsula Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.  And that's because I don't have any experience with these conditions.

My list is hiking only.  If I could team up with distance cyclist and equestrian, I would give credit to their them on the new check list (in the "by" lines).  The cyclist list needs to be a standard all-terrain, multi-speed mountain bike with the capabilities of riding long distances on canal towpaths and former railroad right-of-ways that are now grass, bumpy and on relatively flat terrain.  Under the conditions I just stated, it is unlikely that the path will ever be plowed in the winter and the cyclist might easily find that they'll be the first ones on it since it snowed.  If there's too much, they'll have to by-pass on roads.

 What I'd need them to do, is take out all of their gear and lay it out.  Then write down all the pieces in their full inventory that must include the winter items as well.  They should make note of their temperature ratings if they know them. And they shouldn't be concerned about redundancy with my list because at this point, I'm not sure how, or if I'll edit that?

No comments:

Post a Comment