Search This Blog

2016/12/18

Log 2016121801

It's up.  But the interally mounted Wi-Fi expansion card isn't working.  It's showing up in the device manager as not being able to load it's driver. I have a USB Wi-Fi device around, so I just put in it The Robot.  Meanwhile, I changed some settings in the Binary Operating System recently, so maybe that had something to do with it.  Otherwise, the expansion card is supported by the current Windows operating system.

When I was in the Binary Operating System, I had the external video card working, so I disabled all of the redundant hardware.  They were things like video and sound card that had an external card inserted in the motherboard.  Before I did that, I have 16GB of memory (RAM) on-board now and the Control Panel was reading it as 15.9GB.  The redundant hardware was taking about 100MB of my RAM.  When I shut them off, I got all 16 available.

Google Earth is now maxed out on cache memory. And the back-up for my maps is ready to be loaded.  My documents and movies have been transferred over.  My media is being added to the library.

The monitor is connected to the video card with a VGA (analog) cable.  I might change that over to DVI (digital), but my monitor isn't all that great.  My TV connects to it via HDMI and I usually set it to clone so that both displays show the same picture.  I use this mostly watch Star Trek before I go to bed.  Other than that, I use it with Google Earth when I need to get out from behind the computer, get something to eat and look at the map on something bigger.

This is it, this motherboard ought to last another 8 years.  I can upgrade it's RAM and CPU once.  I'm thinking about getting a projector for trail presentations.  If I do, I have an 80 watt speaker and a 20 watt PA amp.  With the projector, all I'll need is a wireless microphone and a presenter and I'll be good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment