Search This Blog

2015/02/21

Log 2015022101

I just received a couple updated and replacement maps from the BTA.  And where I have merged it's tracks from the BTA GIS/ GPS Data Depository before, and some had working elevation profiles and measurement, not all work like that.  Take Stockport Section for instance, I've been able to get it's track segments merged into one so it's entire length appears as one entry on my hand GPS.  But the elevation profile shows errors and it does not have a "measurement" tab in the tracks "properties" menu regardless of whether I convert it to KML or GPX.

While I was merging Stockport's tracks, I paid special attention to what direction the segments were facing before I merged.  And while the were all in order, my merges were still coming up with errors.  I'd like to blame this one on "pilot error."   I have a gut feeling that it probably is, but when working GIS tracks, I'm at a loss sometimes.  Even though what I work with is more point and click, working with KML and GPX directly relates to the XML computer programming language.  And I've had a basic computer programming class before and this feels like there's an elusive flaw in my logic, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

So, I left the Stockport as it is for now and moved on to New Straitsville Section's track segments.  Using Google Maps Engine to recreate the on-road trail, I downloaded it's tracks and that brought the section down to 50 segments.  I wasn't able to get the measurements tab to work with the tracks as they were.  So, I did a conversion, leaving every track unmerged into KML to no avail.  I then did it to GPX and I now have both.

I renamed the tracks to split merging New Straitsville Section's track segments into 4 parts.  I want to see if an entire 50mi+ section is too large for GPSVisualizer to keep track of?  Or was my method of converting the segments into GPX first and commanding it to compute the track statistics the right thing to do?

I just got word that Google Maps Engine will loose it's support on January 29th, 2016 and that I have to start shopping for another product.  I subscribe to the "pro" version. Can you hear nails screeching on a chalkboard right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment