Search This Blog

2015/02/13

Log 2015021301

I'm getting ready to sew my patches on my convertible coat that has about a 17°F rating.  So, I purchased 4 - 500K, 3 - 100K and 1 - 10mi patches, which when sewn on will get me to as close to displaying 2,324km, or 1,444mi as the Buckeye Trail was officially measured as when I started hiking it on October 28th, 2009.

A "trail crew" is different from performing typical maintenance as an adopter.  Usually, trail crews are the ones who build the off-road trail.  And at 5 hours of service, those volunteers are entitled to the "Volunteer" patch.  I got mine about a year or two ago while volunteering on the crew that was building 18 additional miles of trail around the Michael J. Kirwan Reservoir in the West Branch State Park.  I mostly did what's called "benching."  When the trail goes along the side of a hill, the pitch of the terrain is going down (from left to right) as the trail is routed across (straight).  "Benching" is the process of digging out the hill to level out that pitch so that hikers aren't traversing the route on a slanted surface.  Otherwise, it might unbalance some of our loads, or cause one of our muscles to compensate for the other and fatigue in a way that is not uniform.

This is not a patch that one can order from the BTA Store, so I made an inquiry today regarding the purchase of 3 of them.  The one that I was given was in a hair band on my former wicker cowboy hat that I lost in Sandusky.


No comments:

Post a Comment