Search This Blog

2014/01/15

Log 2014010801

This is what I have left in Ohio.

dark blue- This is what's been done on the Buckeye circuit and North Country Trails in Ohio since 28 October 2009.  I don't know for sure what my total mileage is in state so far, but I'd estimate that I'm at 1,290 miles, with an additional 625 more miles done out of state.

red- These are the independent stems of the multipurpose, cross country American Discovery Trail, which I have yet to traverse and plan on doing them on my mountain bike.  I'm estimating that they'll take about 2 days to complete. 

LIGHT BLUE-  This is what I have remaining of the Buckeye Trail

All together, I estimate my remaining trail distance to be about 470 accredited miles, with 129 of it on bicycle. By accredited, I mean mileage that I can claim towards a patch, or completion, and does not include loops that I must take to get back to my car, or bicycle... those are additional.

Usually, I schedule for 20 mile days.  But my 56 mile hike and bike last October (I guess) reveled my true talents and I should be able to push my daily limit up towards 30 miles per day with up to an additional 20 miles on bicycle.  I still have to get up in the next morning and perform.  In other words, I might be able to hike 30 and bike 20, but it might not get me back to The Cramper in time to get enough sleep?

Independent of the Buckeye Trail, the American Discovery in Ohio takes place on improved surfaces, most of those are roads, except in Hueston Woods State Park.  In the southeast, the ride from Parkersburg, WV to Chesterhill of Morgan County travels through Appalachia. I'm anticipating that it will be a difficult day.  Anytime you start at the flats on the Ohio River and head inland always is. And the elevation profile states that if I did the trip in reverse, that it wouldn't make much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment