Search This Blog

2014/01/14

Log 2014010701

What I'm about to write is not exactly Facebook worthy.  It's difficult to describe what I'm doing these days.  And it's all a part of my "master plan." Basically, things change with transit in Ohio and I'm usually not aware of it until I scan through their websites.  The Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource should be updated once annually.  This year, I have a special treat.  gpsvisualizer.com now has an option to merge track segments.  Also, Google Maps - MyMaps has been redesigned.

Then, the Buckeye Trail Association released their centerline track data, but it comes in hundreds of track segments and my GPS's operating system will only reads about 25.  So, I'm working on merging as much as I can to get the number of track segments down.  But this merging isn't without it's problems.  Sometimes a mysterious track connects with another track, causing a triangle.  My best guess is that one of the affected segments is was recorded in the opposite order and it needs to have the coordinates in its XML language flipped around?  Another possibility that comes to mind is that the web page that I'm using just has certain limitations?

There's the impending hiking trip coming up.  There's no telling what condition it will be in.  If the blazing isn't perfect, I learned on my last hike that having a good GPS track will help out a lot.  And so, I come full circle on needing those tracks.

So basically, there's 1700 miles of major hiking trails in Ohio and it's going to take a long time to get them just right. 

So, the master plan goes like this...

1. Settle in to my new living arrangement (check, it's done)
2. Save money
3. Update the transit hiking website (in progress)
4. Prepare my gear and make retrofits if necessary (the utility hauling trailer needs to be re-wired)
5. depart for Stockport Section, Pt. 3, which is Campground H of the American Electric Power"s ReCreation Land and start my hike when the weather breaks.

The problem with hiking now is The Cramper.  It's heating systems have never been tested in the cold, let alone a polar vortex.  And even though I just replaced the rear struts, they were cheap.  And even the slightest load in the tailgate makes the back end dip.  Which makes the front look higher and the HHR is front wheel drive.  Another thing is what if it snows?  I may have to camp somewhere on an unimproved road.  Some of those are dirt, gravel, 1 1/2 lanes wide with edges for which there are no metal barriers.  Sometimes the HHR drives like the Cobalt, while others its more like the Tahoe.  There's no telling what it might be like if I was trying to brake down hill while pulling an extra 40% of the Chevy's weight.

With that being said, while parking near state highways might be an option, I still have to pre-position the bicycle, or retrieve it from somewhere.

On another note, my back seems to be getting better.  Today is day 62.  I flared it up just a little bit while taking my brother's dog for a walk a couple days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment