Search This Blog

2014/01/05

Log 2014010501

So, I'm spending the winter back in home port. So far, I've been nursing a mild back injury for the last 66 days, or 9 weeks so far. In acclimating to life back home, I succumbed to a mild depression.
I purchased a Dean Exotica 4 string acoustic bass. Today, I purchased micro fiber cloths for it, my Yahama 6 string acoustic and my 12 string guitars. I'm not so sure, but I think I'll be bringing the bass with me next time.
A bottle fantastik Scrubbing Bubbles Heavy Duty All Purpose Cleaner was purchased today. It claims that it can kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria.  I need it because the kitchen sink here at home port is made of something black and I can't use bleach to clean it.  Its essential that the sink and counter tops get as close to sterilized as possible or I could have bacteria growth in my cans.

Most of my manuals are on some kind of computerized format on my tablet. Recently, the tablet bricked a 32GB microSD card.  And I wanted to replace it with today's maximum of a 256GB unit, but the 64GB was the highest capacity either in person in a store, or online... So, I purchased a 64GB microSDXC card. And chances are that a manual was stored on that bricked card and until I pack up for another trip, I probably won't know what I lost.

I'm performing a manual backup of documents and some media on my laptop, tablet and smartphone. This task has been added to my home port procedure.
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) has been established on said devices.

One diversion that I have are my Star Trek video games. One was built for Windows 98 and the other was on XP. They play great on my server, which runs Vista and is in storage right now.  But, my laptop runs Windows 8 and its new Aero desktop doesn't like them. So, I have a full version of Windows XP Professional that I ordered. I'll have to install and dual boot the computer. Right now, I'm hoping that I won't have to install both operating systems.

Right now, I estimate that I have another 24 more days of hiking before I complete the Buckeye Trail and North Country and American Discovery Trails in Ohio. The goal is to be eligible for my patches in the Village of Mt. Orab in Brown County.  Its not a question of will I do it, but more a matter of how? This upcoming mission might not go like the last because there's another option. And I don't plan on choosing until sometime in the 3rd week of February. I don't see myself leaving for southern Ohio until about 2 weeks after the weather breaks.

Also, the nature of the upcoming program is different than the last.  For this coming up, I won't be volunteering for any trail maintenance. That was what consumed the vast majority of my 90-something days that I was out last time.  My hiking was actually quite productive and efficient. I set my 44/56 mile record out there in the most rugged place the Buckeye has in Southeast Ohio. In other words, I "destroyed" it. It shows that the south can't humble me.

At the moment, I'm standing by to make a bicycle donation on Cleveland's westside. Then get my prescriptions filled on the east side. Afterwards, I have oil to recycle and items to take to the landfill. Once that's done, I'll be putting my car in storage and relying on my bicycle and public transit until the weather breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment