Search This Blog

2018/07/12

Hiking and Adventurer's Project

I was gaining weight and my doctor told me to make a list of things to do. One of those things was hiking. In 2009, I started hiking in the Cleveland Metroparks. It was there that I noticed blue paint Mark's on the trees.  I looked it up later and found it to be the navigational marker for the Buckeye Trail.

Back then, it was 1,444 miles long. I purposely skipped those parts in case I wanted to commit to it. In 2010, I did. 

On December 14th, 2014, I stepped up and became the volunteer supervisor for the Whipple Section - Buckeye Trail. Now, I've covered about 1,200 miles, but the demands on these usually keep section supervisors glued to their areas. So, I've been stalled on my progress.

But that's ok, I love what I'm doing.  Now, I'm on to Adventurer's Project. Being a section supervisor consists of mostly trail maintenance tasks.  Beyond most maintenance, the project also covers the Road Fork Section

Adventurer's Project currently is just that.  It's a project. But it's on it's way to becoming something that is more formalized. It doesn't have members, but supporters.

In an average year, the Buckeye Trail only has about 1 to 2 thru hikers. But last September, an unusual event took place and Whipple and Road Fork were forecasted to get five.

Any other region of the Buckeye Trail would have been handle it. But aside from low volunteer numbers, this region has some uniquenesses.

I know that some of you reading this are going to say that drinking from some of the surface streams is fine. Based on the location of past and present mining, my own unprofessional, amateur data might concur? But the National Forest Service (NFS) on one of its documents disagrees.  There are a few water systems that can filter heavy metals, but we've got to get the hikers weaned off the natural sources for the most part.

Adventurer's Project's chapter like functions were activated.  During that time, a hiker was concluding his journey at the end of the Whipple Section. Because his thru hike was "high profile," it included two events here...  a speaking engagement and membership drive.

Our support numbers in this region are very low. And I voiced my reservations to the BTA on both, but they were content to give them a try. I printed about 300 fliers and started posting them like crazy for the first one. But when I was resupplying water for two thru hikers at once, posting fliers for the second event became more than I could handle.

What we need is a local following. And since the hiking program hasn't really been cultivated here, we will be looking for supporters from the ground up. Literately straight off of the streets.

When it comes to BTA support, the majority of the hikers and volunteers live in either western, or Northern Ohio. For most of them, the trail in Far SE Ohio is the furthest place on the Buckeye Trail.

We do receive some support like the upcoming Road Fork/ Whipple Work Week, which will be from July 21 - 25, 2018 and its basecamp will be at the Little Muskingum Watershed Association in Ludlow Township of Washington County, Ohio (post office city is New Matamoras). Volunteers do not need to stay for the entire event and locals can just help on a day or two?  This is the event where we perform heavy maintenance with DR Mowers, weed whacking, and leveling the roll of the trail on a hillside.

It can also include pruning.

Also, we may receive some material support from the North Country Trail Association?

Otherwise, I have a lot of ideas and I'd rather discuss them with supporters in person.

If you have any questions, or would like to volunteer, please contact me at the following:

MD Edmonds
info@adventurersohwv.info
C: (740) 885-9644

No comments:

Post a Comment