Search This Blog

2017/08/02

Omnibus Log 08/02/2017

I've been spouting off ideas for the last 7 years on the Buckeye Trail's Facebook group.  But I'm starting to see that this isn't the time for them anymore.  Whipple Section, maybe even the whole circuit needs actions to be taken.  I might have one after I get the cost analysis done.

The Wilderness Loops resupply strategy is set to be come a part of a protochapter known as "Adventurer's Project."  Well... my current trail promotion strategy is being reduced, we no longer have full control of The Wilderness Loop.  And that's bothering me at the moment.  I wasn't consulted regarding the change.  I had a 15 county area going up through Zanesville.  I'm just about about to execute an evolutionary process, the plan has to be changed.

A reduction in territory is good.  Changing the plan that already in motion is not.  I'm like this with just about anything.

A hiking program is required for Buckeye Trail chapters by the bi-laws. But in building a chapter in SE Ohio, I want it to be a lesser priority and focus more on the volunteer experience. I think that BT chapters haven't been established the right balance yet between what we want to do and what we need to do. What chapters and maintainers need to start doing is separate the maintainers from the rest of the active chapter's membership. That way, the promoters promote and the maintainers maintain. The main chapter keeps the manpower supply going and fills vacancies, while the maintainers ensure that the promoters have a trail worth promoting. Neither side can fail for long before the system breaks down.

Things came through today.  Money that was fraudulently taken from me has been restored.  But I'm going to have to sort through 29 Internet accounts and determine which ones need new financial information?  I have to doggy sit on the 9th.  About a dozen campgrounds and motels need to be called to get rates for my cost analysis.  Once I have those, I can put it down until September.  I have a chainsaw cover coming on the 5th.  The cover has the chain tensioner built into it.

Some kind of new backpack needs to be purchased.  I'd like it to be about 30L, but be able to carry a 4L water bladder.  It's going to become the maintenance bag.  I need to be able to jettison metal tools and gear quickly while being able to wait out a lightning storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment