Search This Blog

2017/07/29

BT Cost Analysis 7/29/2017

I've taken a day off from my Buckeye Trail cost analysis without transit.  It's been an unremarkable day.  The only thing that I've done that's noteworthy was I purchased a replacement clutch cover for my chainsaw and that it should arrive next week.

So far, I have Buckeye's main loop day count at 77, the Little Loop at 14 and The Wilderness Loop at 12.  But there might need to be another zero day added to the main loop?  As to how much this will all end up costing will depend on whether I can manipulate the routing to make the cost more favorable.  To do that, I'll have to ascertain how much it costs now and determine if there's practical ways to cut costs, or bypass higher cost areas be introducing another day into the count?  It's got another 8 days that I could add to it.

But it's got restrictions.  And I compare it to the first down chains in football.  Only every time, it's a new 10 yards after you move further up the map.  So over the circuit, I have to be contentiousness of where days start, end and make sure that I link up to the next sequence of days.

I started doing this because I needed to get it done according to lodging costs in the height of summer.  But, the transit hiking idea never took off and I also want to find out how much this thing really costs?  It turns out that we really don't have a big number of stealth campers.  It comes up on the BTA Facebook group every now and then.  And while I thought it was a larger number, I wanted to know what they're by-passing.  I thought it has to be cost?

The Buckeye Trail is growing.  And achieving the BTA's 10 mile campsite initiative sooner than much later is going to require more private camp hosts, which entails residential relations.  I don't see the BTA taking itself 720 more miles off-road by mostly acquiring properties happening anywhere in the near future.  So, I don't think it can add it's own campsites fast enough?  Which means that this needs to be done with more private camp hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment