Search This Blog

2017/07/15

Trail Angel and Smartphone GPS Basemaps

I sent a lot of Buckeye Trail data to a supporter who's currently routing a thru hiker.  The thru hiker isn't using the BT's map & guides, instead he's being routed from the desk via phone calls, text and private messages on Facebook to his smartphone.  Everything should be more complete for them now.

When assisting another thru hiker about a month ago, we discovered something about smartphone GPS navigation.  The problem is off-line basemaps.  The easiest way to do it for the Buckeye Trail is to download everything for the entire State of Ohio at high resolution.  But, that's a huge file.  And the tile limits are 5,000 and 10,000.  I'm in the middle of it now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ties up my smartphone for the next 30 days.  Prospective thru hikers really don't have that kind of time.

I wish I could find basemaps that I could download to my desktop computer, then upload to my smartphone and work on my "Locus" app.  That could be faster for everyone involved.  And it would be preferred if it was USGS Topo.  That's a map that many are familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment