Search This Blog

2017/07/13

Blazing - 50 Yard Pace Count

I did a pace count in advance of reblazing the Duck Creek area on the Whipple Section - Buckeye Trail/ North Country Temporary Connector. It's something I leaned in the Army where you count every left step out to 50 meters.  You do it 3 times and average the count, than that's what you use.  I also understand that this is a Boy Scout method.

Because of conditions on-road, the blazing count will be mostly 50yds. Well, the stadium at Marietta College with a synthetic turf field and lines that are always painted isn't always open to the public.  But it's practice field had yard marker signs attached to its fence. So, I did my pace count on the other side and it worked out well. With a 36in inseam (I'm 6ft 6in) I have a 50yd pace count of 27.  And shorter folks will be more. But it's just an off-road measurement for blazes.

Sometimes, you could find yourself maintaining a new segment where the blazes are badly faded, or they weren't done right to begin with.  In this situation, an "initial" blazing has to be done. It's "initial" as if it was getting it for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment