Search This Blog

2017/03/23

Log 03/23/2017

I just extracted the off-road track on 7 of 26 sections.  It's been going a little slower today.  But I found new transit off of Scioto Trail Section, Point 09 from Ahoy Transport, LLC out of Vinton County.  The only problem is that the hiker would have to walk 3.0 miles on US-50.  That would reach a radio tower on Dixon Mill Rd.  While I don't suppose the vehicle would pull in.  But it's on a lesser used road and the radio tower is just a good landmark.

After learning that the Buckeye Trail Association could have some differences in accounting map mileages, and it may be possible that either their's or my data is off, I went ahead and tallied it's total mileage.  Pay close attention to the date of this log.  Buckeye Trail re-routes often.  With my maps and tracks being as updated as possible, I my data shows the trail's total length to be 1,445.21 miles with an average section track variance of +0.0504 miles beyond the Map Team's numbers.  If I were to continue to back down the tracks to make mile markers, in the past, I've only done it with a variance of +/- 0.2 miles per section.

Digital mile markers could help prospective hikers.  Along with parking, camping, lodging data all in one place, there'd be no more guess work and measuring. Planing hikes would be a snap.  My GPS tracks for the BT are probably in condition now?

Digital mile markers are a lot of work, but they're worth it in the end.  And that's because in Google Earth, you have open the properties menu with the "measurements" tab up to have access and back down track.  Every time you reach a desired mileage, you have to close the menu and then put down a placemark.  In accordance with my data, on the Whipple Section, that has to be performed 58 times.  And the backing down part is what's time consuming.  You have to back space it at a controlled rate, or Google Earth could easily overshoot the mark.

In other things, I've been thinking about my 5th installment towards a Household Life Membership in the Buckeye Trail Association.  It's coming up early next month.  For the installment plan, I may have found that money orders from the US Post Office might be better than the Money Grams for other that I've been using.  Apparently, they never expire or devalue.  I have a PO Box, so I'll have to verify this soon.  There's only 10 installments, so #5 is half way.

I looks like I'll be re-building The Cramper next month.  I'm thinking about something lighter and cheaper.  But I have to go by the home improvement store to try and find a way to temporarily seal it to the tailgate frame.

Sometime in the next month or two, I need to start gathering supplies for trail promotion in SE Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment