Search This Blog

2017/03/15

Governmental Reservation Mapping

Yesterday, I completed the map overlays for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources - Divisions of Parks, Forestry and Wildlife.  The Division of Natural Areas only had a map for Boch Hollow, so I just made a placemark, which will become a waypoint in a GPS.  Additionally, I marked the locations for the Ohio History Connection, which use to be the Ohio Historical Society.

I have the tracks for the Buckeye Trail split into it's 26 sections.  But the goal here is to have enough data to write tracks between the on and off-road intersections.  End users will be able to turn the tracks a different color on something like Google Earth to demonstrate where they've been.  From there, they can either print the map, or they can do a "snap shot" in the application, save it as an image and make it their desktop background (repeating the process as they go)

There's been demand in the past for a paper poster with an Ohio outline and the BT's track where one could mark their progress.  I've done a little investigating into this and anticipating the demands of the audience, I believe that it would have to produced on an architectural plotter.  The problem with plotters is that they can use a lot of ink.

On the Buckeye Trail Facebook group, I asked if any members had a plotter?  And the response that I got back were hypotheticals, or about services that would charge to have them made.  But I'm familiar with plotter services and their mark up could make a print of this size impractical to sell.

These special tracks will allow the end hiker to do something like this.  But it's probably best that it be on paper someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment