Search This Blog

2015/03/13

Log 2015031201

Some financial matters got "squared away" today.  I'm pleased to report that "the books" are in good shape so far.  Yesterday, I got the desk assembled.  Today, I worked on the laptop's arm, which clamps to the opposite end of the desk and elevates it off of the surface.  When the laptop is on the platform, I usually remove the battery so it doesn't keep charging (constant charging diminishes their life).  Then I used zip ties to mount a surge strip, seven port USB hub, the AC/DC box and power cables to the platform's arm.  I use a second set of AC/DC power cables when I take the laptop out of my dwelling.

At the moment, there's a pile of laundry on the floor that needs to get done and my old laptop tray on wheels needs to be taken out to storage.  A message was sent to NiteRider requesting an electronic copy of their user guide for my Lumina 750 bicycle headlights.  As of last week, I invested in a second unit that will mount opposite of the one already on there on the bicycle extension bars that I mounted.  I'm looking forward to seeing how those two work in concert with the 250 lumen unit that I mount to my helmet.  It also comes with a powerful rear taillight that I'm quite fond of and will match one that is already on there.  They have a pretty powerful "pulsing" mode, that when set to alternate from each other, seems to send a pretty clear signal that I'm unusual and don't belong there, or there's something definitely artificial happening ahead.

- I'm unsure if the documentation for my Acer laptop is in my tablet's "library" folder?  If it's not, I should download it to that directory in the event that it's needed when I'm off-line.

- And I still have yet to read my smartphone's manual.  It may contain things that I don't know about it yet.

- Updated GIS/GPS files for the Buckeye Trail still need to be uploaded to the smartphone, tablet and laptop.

- I need to perform electrical diagnostics on my 2008 Chevy HHR's tailgate wiring.  It just doesn't sound like it has enough power to pop the tailgate?  If it were a short, it would be blowing fuses (and it's not)  So, I think that I'm looking a wire that is partially breached, but not coming in contact with anything metal.  With the backseats taken out, there are some harnesses that are exposed there and I think that the problem is probably there.  But proper diagnostics dictate that I start with a multimeter at the plastic plug on the tailgate release motor and measure the amperage along the wire going towards the fuse block.

Another way that I can do is with the HHR's rear battery.  Using an inline fuse, I can hard wire a positive lead to the corresponding wire just before and leading to the tailgate release's touch pad.  If the motor promptly releases the latch, then my problem is elsewhere.  If it doesn't, my problem is confined to the tailgate itself.

- Last week, I received a new truing stand for the bicycle's wheels.  My previous one is still in good shape, but one of it's knobs fell off when it was getting stuffed into the trailer and I've been unable to find a replacement.  This time, I need to procure some kind of tough container for it.  If it's knobs do fall off, I don't want them to go very far, like some unknown mile on Interstate 77.

- two adjustable lanyards were purchased at Staples in Mentor of Lake County two days ago.  I cut the mesh on one of them so that it only fits around my hand.  That lanyard will also tie down the digital camera and keep it from falling out of my car windshield mount and hitting the floor.

I have about 40% of the intersection's photographed and geotagged for the Whipple Section - Buckeye Trail.  And I have about 20% of it on video.  The digital camera can geotag, but only if it's connected via Wi-Fi to the smartphone.  The plan is to install a second goose neck windshield mount inside of my Chevy.  Then use the digital camera to record the videos and the smartphone to take the geotagged photographs.  I'm not so sure about the video, but the geotagged photos will be uploaded into the Google application Picasa, which will sense the geotags.  From there, I'll use the option to upload them to Google Earth and incorporate them into my administration and maintenance folder for Whipple Section.  Once done, I plan on giving a copy to the Trail Management Team and the Buckeye Trail Association's Headquarters for their records.  Since their from various parts of the state, if they ever need to do anything on Whipple, they can study the sites that they're going to.  As for me, I would like to study these myself on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment