Search This Blog

2014/02/20

Log 2014022001

In the past 7 days, I have moved from Home Port and am now house sitting for what looks to be the remainder of my time before I leave to hike again.  In public, I'll say that I'm currently located in between the Bedford and Burton Sections of the Buckeye Trail.  Because I have the additional space, I retrieved and set up The Robot here to help me with my project.

Essentially, between The Robot and the laptop, I have 6 CPU cores, 12 gigabytes of RAM, 15 megabits of downstream on the internet, broadcasting on gigabit Ethernet and wireless N Wi-Fi, and a 32 inch plasma screen TV connected via HDMI cable...

Not to mention plenty of space.  At Home Port, my laptop was on a wheeled cart with it's 14 additional USB ports and surge protector electrical strip strapped to the stem.  The space it inserted in was just big enough for it.  Anyways, with the extra computer and the extra space, I should be able to be more efficent and productive when writing the new addition to the Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource.

In setting up The Robot, the security system that I had at the time was 6 months expired.  And I was hoping that it's firewall and my Windows Vista Operating System would keep most things at bay while I had a look at more pressing concerns. That didn't happen and one of my user names became infested.  With the replacement security suite, I'm still not sure if it's Firefox internet browser application has stopped producing pop up tabs and windows yet? I've run three different scans on two user names, which so far, seems to be effective.

By using the word "stress" generically, as I take on more stress, I will need a diversion to help clear my mind and put things into perspective.  In this case, I'm glad I got The Robot out of storage because with it's Vista operating system, I can play my Star Trek games.  Because they were produced for Windows 98 & XP, the Windows 8 on my laptop won't play them because of the Aero Desktop.  And switching the hardware's Binary Operating System (BIOS) to enable it's hardware "legacy" mode to install Windows XP in a dual booting system... well, that crashed the system's start-up and I had to reset it to the factory default.  In other words, this currently remains beyond my technical expertise.

The Robot and laptop are communicating with each other in regards to file sharing.  But the File Transfer Protocols on both computers, the tablet and smartphone have not been set up yet.  That's because I have yet to configure static Internet Protocol addresses and the firewalls The Robot and laptop to accept that kind of communication.  With the way things are going right now, it's hard to say when I'll get to it.  I have a task list, but I haven't been using an itinerary, so getting things done is a little like "calling plays from behind the line" right now.

I'm not a total slob, but I am less than meticulous when it comes to keeping up a living space.  The last apartment that I rented was 730 square feet.  Where I am now is probably in the ballpark of about 2,000.  And it needs to be kept up with regularly.  I printed a hard copy of a schedule of chores and posted it in the kitchen. 

My old apartment was heated with forced water in the baseboards and was included in the rent.  So, naturally, I never turned the thermostat down in cold months.  But here, this is NE Ohio and this place is heated with natural gas, which is a separate expense in owned dwellings and its costs can spike occasionally.  So, I fixed an index card to the front door with magnets reminding me to turn down the heat before I leave.  I was going to place one on the bedroom door, but I haven't found any packing tape yet.  I should probably fix it with painter's tape, instead.

I saw the doctor two days ago regarding my back.  And her opinion is that I had a muscle sprain.  But because it's been over 3 months since I think I injured it, she said that I could probably start back at the gym this weekend as long as I don't max out.  She mentioned that my back is weaker from the injury and that she'd like me to use the lower back machine to get it back up to the strength.  But I see myself getting back to the gym as soon as I perform a stretching regiment twice a day for a week.  The doctor said that I have knot at the base of my spine on the right side.

My Nike Air Pegasus +29's separated between the inner and outer sole.  Since they came apart, I discarded them.  Yesterday, I paid about $110 at Dick's Sporting Goods for a pair of the Pegasus +30.  This is the 30th year that Nike has been selling this cross-training shoe model.  I've been wearing these for the last 12 years.  They have a reputation for having a lot of support.  After my foot type was accessed at Reception before Basic Training in the Army, this is what I was recommended to purchase because of my high arches and that I'm an excessive heal striker.  Since I've worn these shoes, I haven't had orthopedic problems in my knees (like I use to) ever since.

If anything on the car gets done before the 1st, I would probably be using a multimeter to trace a short on my passenger's side day time running and head lights.  That task will entail jacking the car up, removing the front passenger's side wheel and peeling back the protective plastic shielding on that wheel well.  The dealer told me 5 1/2 years ago that almost all of the electrical was routed along one channel in the engine compartment.  I've never seen this, but it the HHR has a reoccurring pattern and that is, it's ridiculously easy to perform maintenance on.  If it keeps going on with its pattern, then I believe the dealer... the wiring should be routed along one channel. 

The task will start with removing the passenger's side headlight fuse and inserting the multimeter leads in their place.  I'll then turn the headlights on manually from inside the cabin.  If it reads 20 amps of current, then the short is between the fuse box and the lamp.  If it doesn't read any current, then its somewhere between switch and the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment