Search This Blog

2022/09/28

Battery Cables on the Rivi



These are the positive and negative side post battery cables on my 1990 Buick Riviera.  The digital odometer comes on and off, which could because of a bad ground.  I have to track it down and first I'm going to start with replacing the battery cables.  I'm unfamiliar with this 6 cable set up.  By the looks of it, it seems that both sides have 2, 4 & 6 gauge cables coming into this?  They are molded into a block at the top, which can not be serviced because it's solid with no way of getting into them.

As a somewhat inexperienced backyard, DIY mechanic, I'm not comfortable with what I'm seeing on line, so I plan to get larger bolts for the battery, get custom length cables and mount them each with three separate cables instead of in combination.  This car has electronic everything, including the digital odometer.

If I had to guess, I bet that these were last changed when a Buick dealership last supported the year of my Rivi?  If that's true, these battery cables could be 28 years old with up to 140,000 miles on them?  They look clean, but remember it's a Buick.  It's had 3 owners and 2 of them were elderly.  It took 28 years for it to get up to 62,000 miles.  At 126,000 miles as it is today, the underbody is still mostly spotless.  And the engine is rather clean.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment