Search This Blog

2019/07/24

Acquired: Used Chevy Sportvan

I just acquired a 1986 Chevy Sportvan with over 140,000 miles on the odometer yesterday.  I grew up in the working class in these duplexes outside of Painesville.  We lived there for 12 years and that outpaced anyone we knew there.  We worked under cars using a carpet on gravel.  And out there, we had more "beaters" than I care to remember.

Particularly when you buy a used vehicle from a private seller, there are two things that you do right away.  1) inspect it.  And 2) give it a basic tune up just because.  You don't know how old the oil, air filter, spark plug and wires are?

The van has a dual exhaust, but extensive rust on the tailgate floor, so much that it's developed holes.  The engine seems strong and has lots of power.  I tried to fill up the gas tank, but it only took about 7 gallons at the pump.  The fuel gauge is reading less than half.  My guess is that this is an old vehicle with a big tank and the pump nozzle just has to be manipulated a little?  I know this happens to old trucks.

As an update, I believe that I still have 73,349 points at Speedway gas stations.  I last knew that I had enough for a nearly free full tank.  Speedway requires that I pay something.  Last time, I paid $0.08 per gallon.  But my nearest one is about 30 minutes away.  And the motorhome isn't going much of anywhere for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment