Search This Blog

2018/12/09

American Discovery Trail Data Re-Organized, Upcoming Logistics Diagnostic

I've reorganized my American Discovery Trail data using a standardized template that I use for ordering items in Google Earth Pro for every distance trail that I work with.  Under ADT's directory, it should be something like 00aa. for Delaware tracks, 00ab for alternates, 00b for data, 00c for mile markers, 00d for waypoints, so on and so on.  I'm getting ready to do a independent diagnostic on the trail's camping/ lodging logistics.

A westbound hiker has to be in Sacramento, California by 10/10 annually or they risk the Sierra Nevada Mountains becoming impassable.  All diagnostics that I've done so far are "true thru" documents.  That means that the mock hiker is true to the prescribed route of the trail, unless it's a threat to one's life, limb, eye sight or is legally impassable.  If the trail for some reason were to meet those conditions and that trail alert, or map update hasn't been published, then they can affect a by-pass at their discretion.  But for right now, the mock hiker will be routed in a more "perfect world."

So with 10/10 in the westbound direction being fixed, I'm going to apply my standard daily mileages for different types of terrain and see if I can get that mock hiker across the continent?  This is why I don't want help from anybody else's data.  Illegal stealth camping won't be factored in.  I want to see if my mock hiker can make it across without resorting to a 30 mile day (not even one).

I've got a feeling that it won't make it.  If what I hear is right, when one chooses which side of the loop that they're on, I vaguely recall the length of that trip to be 4,600 - 4,800 miles?  And I know that 4,800 won't do it.  And I imagine that it would probably take 4,300 to do it?  There's only 6 miles of difference between the north and south of the ADT's mid-west loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment