Search This Blog

2017/09/25

My Own Resupply, Thru Hikers

Today, I resupplied myself and I filled up the gas tank.  I'm in St. Mary, WV. So, when I'm going up towards Road Fork Section at the top of The Wilderness Loop, I like having 2/3rd a tank of gasoline. But I can get away with having less on the Whipple Section side.

In case I haven't stated it before, there were obstructions in the Little Muskingum River Flats between the Whipple Section - Buckeye/ North Country National Scenic Trail that were impossible to get around when Preston Hudson came through on his thru hike. I was also under the impression that there was devestating erosion at the time.   Given that those were the conditions at the then, it my determination that this segment would have been a threat to the life, limb and eyesight of these hikers.

I am the current Section Supervisor of the Whipple Section. Under Buckeye Trail Association bi-laws, it does infer that I have jurisdiction over the section (if that helps).

I have then since fixed the area and Tomfoolery hiked through there.

If it comes into question, for thru hikers  Preston Hudson, Mei Ling Liber and Tomfoolery, I was their water resupply for eastern half of The Wilderness Loop. That took about 5 days each. I did this in locations that were convenient to park my car.  So, I did see them near a road, but I'm a distance hiker myself and each came though those days with the appropriate signs of exhaustion according to their water consumption and their abilities.  All that was right on par.

While the roads are shorter, apparently their footgear isn't designed for it. The BT is 50% on-road and the rest still consists of several towpaths and multi use right-of-ways.  I believe that their footgear was designed more for the Appalachian Trail, which frankly, isn't this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment