Search This Blog

2016/01/29

Log 2016022901

The new heatsink is installed and everything is plugged, or inserted in where they should be except for 2 chassis fans and another one tomorrow that need some power connection converters.  It took about 5 hours to do.  And even though everything was marked as to what port they originally came from, The Robot's nasty reputation for configuration took a turn for the worst.  Sometimes, I can't get it to boot up, or when it does, somehow Windows became corrupt.  If I have to re-install windows and reprogram the computer, you can find me purchasing a copy of Norton Ghost very soon.

Meanwhile, I just discovered "NOAA Weather Radio" for my Android Smartphone on Google Play and I'm experimenting with the app.  While it lists a "Marietta" station, it does not have any West Virginia ones at all.  Much of Marietta's broadcast is based on the weather station in Charleston, WV.  If it works, it will be a good tool to use down trail.  But I think it would be better in the car.

FM radio stations are sluggish to play the severe weather tone.  When the weather gets bad, I want to know what's going on immediately.  In order to get weather band in a car without a smartphone app, one has to purchase and install a marine stereo head unit.  And I'm just don't have the money for that.  And even if I was, I'd have to be assured that the unit will always lock on the closest of the seven channels broadcasting, no matter where I'm traveling, then interrupt all other stereo functions in the event of a weather alert.  Otherwise, I could just take a small hand held weather band radio, supply it power from the car and jack it into my stereo's auxiliary input.  But they usually have a big bulky antenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment