Search This Blog

2016/01/27

Log 2016012703

-This entry is the 400th published for the "Treeman's Adventures & Volunteerism" log, which includes topics on necessary equipment for what I do.

In order to mount the new heatsink on my media center computer, "The Robot," it's motherboard will need to be dismounted to install a backing plate.  That entails much more work than I originally intended.  This computer is difficult to configure.  So, in order to do it, every USB cable currently connected will need to be labled and mapped back to where it was inserted.  I have my label maker standing by. There are 20 USB ports on this machine.  But I might be able to lift out the 6 expansion cards (like video, sound, Wi-Fi, more USB ports) while they're still inserted in the motherboard.

I could just plug them back in anywhere, but I risk it looking for drivers if the cables aren't plugged in where they were before.  And this computer takes some "manipulation" to configure.  So, it would actually be worth my while if I took the time to label them to prevent unforeseeable problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment