Search This Blog

2015/07/30

Log 2015073001

I attempted to change the rear brake shoes on my 2008 Chevy HHR LS.  And I was using a rubber mallet to properly position them after tensioning to put the drum back on.  In the process, I ruptured a seal on one of the calipers.  Since I'm broke, a hiker and somewhat of a cyclist, I don't plan on getting the parts to fix it until tomorrow.  This is weird because that caliper was still it's original blue color (and not caked in brake dust like usual).  That leads me to believe that they weren't replaced that long ago.  But I've got a theory about them.

After I did the last full brake job, I had air in the brake lines.  But it only broke on the opposite caliper.  So, that's the one that I bled.  And the brake position was ok, but not the best. About 2 months ago, I noticed a drop in the peddle position.  The mechanics in not so many words told me that I was crazy and that the brakes were still hitting.

Tomorrow, I'm renting a portable air compressor and I'm going to bleed the brakes all four ways around.  I've had new front discs in the trailers gear bay.  Tomorrow, I'll get new drums and get this all new and right the first time.

Labor Day is coming up and I'm eager to get my portions of the Whipple Section - Buckeye/ North Country Trail re-blazed.  And I'm looking forward to upgrading the navigation on the on-road

No comments:

Post a Comment