Search This Blog

2017/06/11

WCHS Tour Along The BT/ NCTC

I just e-mailed the Washington County Historical Society requesting information on their WCHS Tour signs that I see every now and then.  There's one on the Whipple Section - Buckeye Trail/ North Country Temporary Connector in Macksburg.  The signs I've seen are few and very faded, which, to me, could suggest that there might be other sites along the trail?

It is possible that I could GPS all of their sites and produce a file to download.  And I'd have to check my recording equipment, but I think I could make vocal mp3 files if there was a written guide to these sites.  It could be available for download, or on CD.  If they're downloaded, they could be used on a smartphone.  Audio playback is no problem, in fact many of our automobiles can now use bluetooth to connect it to the stereo system.

But it gets a little tricky with a smartphone GPS.  Google Maps, the stock navigation app on Android devices won't support this.  The user would need to have an app that allows them to download off-line maps.  I use "Locus" on mine.  After the off-line maps and GPS waypoints are downloaded, they can be displayed together, but they probably won't have any turn by turn directions when they're out of signal?  But a prescribed track, or route could work.

If in the event they'd need help (and we'd need help), then I already know that I'm one of very few people who can do this GPS mapping and make that track.  So, it might have to be me?

No comments:

Post a Comment