Search This Blog

2017/04/21

American Discovery Intersections and Whipple Resupply

There are 76 intersections on the American Discovery Trail - Ohio/ Kentucky's 32 mile on-road route between the West Virginia line and the Buckeye Trail.  This area is in Washington and Morgan Counties.  I used placemarks in Google Earth and then talled up the total.  I'll have to do West Virginia in Wood and Ritchie Counties next.  When a place mark is made, it's properties sub-window comes up.  I wish it didn't.  I wish I could just put them down and go on because I use a reprogrammable keypad.  And when putting a placemark down, the sub-menu is subdued.  That causes me to have to use the mouse to activate and close it.  It would be so much faster if I had the option to just put them down and I'll just rename them later if I want to.

I'm getting ready to request supplies from the American Discovery Trail Society soon.

Yesterday, I purchased 4 canvas stuff sacks with draw strings.  There should be more than enough to hoist resupply sack caches along the Whipple Section at roughly 10 mile predicted intervals.  The needs of the hiker and Buckeye's fixed amenities before and after should influence this.  They'd be asked to use this as their dispersed campsite.  If there are multiple sites for one particular predicted area that used in some rotation, with Whipple's lower numbers, that should keep the impact on the land lower while filling a need with resupply.

The sites will be marked off trail with global coordinates and one will have to use a GPS to find them.  With that said, GPS's have an accuracy that fluctuates on both devices (mine and theirs).  It can be more inaccurate if the sky is more cloudy, or overcast.  When the waypoint is made, I'll also have to record my hand GPS's accuracy so that the hiker knows that the actual location might not be where their device says the waypoint is.  At most, they'll have to walk a straight line about 50ft from the reported waypoint position.  Then use their GPS to walk a circle from it at that radius.  They'll need to scan with their eyes inside the circle and they should be able to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment