Search This Blog

2015/11/15

Log 2015111401

Today, I charted the location of the high and low points of the Buckeye Trail's 26 sections.  Afterwards, I started making placemarks of intersections, whole miles and the high and low points on the Road Fork Section only.  The goal is to have them done for the entire circuit so that when I go route my mock thru and 10 miler hikers, I can have an easy mileage reference.  This is a lot of work.  There are times when I easily loose track of what mileage I'm going for.  This happens every time I go to produce a new edition to the Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource (OTHR).  I guess it's just a lot of detail and information.

When going for whole miles, I have to delete a copy of the section's master track from it's terminator with the "Properties" menu up and set to the "Measurements" tab in Google Earth.  The track has little squares that are like anchors.  They pertain to the global coordinates in the track's XML (an Internet programming language) for every place the track turns, no matter how insignificant.  And if I'm not careful when doing as it gets close, the desired mileage might be between these anchors and I could overshoot it.  My Road Fork track has 60 of these markers.  One section down, 25 more to go.

Naming the low and high points could be useful for OTHR's guide.  But I plan on writing a page here on Blogger highlighting them in the future.  Since I've completed the successful merging of the BTA GIS/ GPS Data Depository into 26 sections, I can confirm that nothing on the circuit is higher than 50ft north of the oval in Burton of Geauga County on the west sidewalk of North Cheshire Street.  At 1,332 feet above sea level, I am certain that this is the highest point on the Buckeye Trail as of the date of this log.  Also verified it's elevation with a USGS topo map.

No comments:

Post a Comment