Search This Blog

2013/11/29

Log 2013111601

I purchased another wheel barring and hub assembly for my 2008 Chevy HHR.  The second unit is the lower priced $54 Duralast model.  I'm not sure what brand or grade that other one is?  But I drove to my uncle's warehouse today to install it.

I've waited weeks to do this so I could have access to an air compressor, impact wrench and a full set of sockets for it.  Weeks ago, I was in position to do this when I changed the front brakes and discs.  But my 2 ton jack wouldn't get the car high enough and I wasn't able to get on of the assemblies bolt unceased. That's because there wasn't enough space at the time to maneuver the torque wrench into its "hard to reach" locations and turn it to break it free.  So the repair had to wait until I was at home port.

The warehouse is full, the fall season is progressing now, so I needed to get settled back into home and then wait for the best opportunity according to the weather to drive to the warehouse and fix the car.  That was today.  My instruments showed that I had a high of 59F this evening.  By "rolling the dice" with the middle of November's weather, today was the correct "hand" to play and it was time to cease the day.

I started on the passenger's side.  The axle started knocking about a week ago.  I think the jack that I was using was a 3 ton and it got the car much higher.  The impact wrench did nothing but spin and start to strip out the assemblies bolts.  So, I went to the torque wrench and had just enough leverage to break them loose.  There are three bolts that are used to mount the assembly and their shafts are colored "blue."

At each tire and behind, the HHR uses 14, 15, 17 & 19mm sockets. The lug nuts are 19mm.

The assembly was ceased on as if I had missed a bolt and didn't take it off.  So, I referred to the repair manual several times and I performed the procedure correctly.  As parts in that area of the car do take on a lot of corrosion, I found a hammer and started beating it as best as I could, but it wasn't making any progress.  I made the determination that the part was ceased beyond my ability to remove it. 

My uncle arrived later to do some work in the warehouse.  So, I used my smartphone, got on the internet and checked my bank balances.  I determined that there was enough to cover the costs of having a more experienced mechanic come and perform the work.  Right now, he's scheduled to come by at 1500hrs today and install both assemblies.


No comments:

Post a Comment