Search This Blog

2013/10/11

Log 2013101101

I was clearing obstructions from the middle segment today.  There was a multi tree clutter that brought down nearby vines.  Because the canal cooridoor is so narrow with the canal on one side and the massive Six Mile Creek on the other, both very nearby, it was difficult to tell where to throw the clutter. I was concerned that much more of this might eventually dam the canal.
I'm pleased with my progress today.  My neighbor maintainter on the Delphos was able to come by on his bicycle and talk to me when I was working. If my southern portion had an obstructions, he wouldn't have been able to do that.  Also, I've been running my wheel barrel from the middle to the southern portion with wood cut from my obstructions.  I'd like to build upto a cord at the southern appature so I could have something to blaze on.  Right now, theirs too much high water plants and low growth around to the point that entry into the southern appature isn't entirely perfect and is inefficent to the hiker.  By inefficency, I mean that they would have to reduce speed and wonder.  I on the other hand want there to no mistake from 50yrds+ at 20/20 vision in the dark with a 75 lumen head lamp.
We have a lot of trash built up over the decades.  The canal cooridoor has been used to dump.  I passed the suggestion on to Troop 75 during their meeting when I did a presentation that this could be a good project for them.  But there is some concern about what to do about used tires, which this segment has an ample supply of.  Apparently, I've heard that they're their difficult to get of.
Normal trailside camping regulations sitipulate that a campsite cannot be occupied longer than 48 hours.  My time runs up sometime tomorrow, so, I plan on moving down to the Six Mile Creek Trailhead about 0.3mi N of my present position next.  I mentioned that it was unsuitable before, but I took another look at the sign there and found that I was incorrect about the night time legal impassability.  The trail and trailhead are passable for my purposes now. And I'll get another 48hrs out of it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment